Sophiendal Manor is located in the highland between Ejer Bavnehøj and Himmelbjerget. Vast forests, lakes and rivers make Sophiendal's location spectacular. The deers can be heard belling in the valleys and the eagles screaming.
The abbey church is situated behind the manor. The church was built in 1058 and is the oldest in the country. After the Reformation, the monastery was placed under Skanderborg castle until 1767, when the king sold Venggaard to the prefect von Woyda. He built the manor and called it Sophiendal after his wife Sophie.
The manor has 40 beautifully decorated rooms, all with canopy beds. The old farm buildings have been converted into conference rooms with modern facilities.
The manor provides the perfect setting for special occasions. Sophiendal Manor is the ideal venue for christenings, weddings, birthday parties, receptions, seminars, workshops and board meetings, with capacity for up to 120 guests.
The wine cellar and interior design shop are open Saturday from 13:00 till 16:00.
The wine tasting takes place in the wine cellar where the guests have the possibility to taste 5 selected wines from our own production and from import. The price is DKK 150 per person.
Attractions in the areaSophiendal Slotshotel is located near Skanderborg, a 30 minute drive from Jutland's capital Aarhus, which is the second-largest city in Denmark. Aarhus Cathedral, The Old Town, Tivoli Friheden Amusement Park, Marselisborg Castle and Aarhus City Hall are some of the major landmarks of the city. Århus tourist office informs you about coming events on http://www.visitaarhus.com/
Sophiendal is a perfect starting point for visiting some of the following places:
Aros Museum of Modern Art http://www.aros.dk/
Moesgård Museum http://www.moesmus.dk/
Silkeborg Museum http://www.silkeborgmuseum.dk/
Forest reserves http://www.skovognatur.dk/
Randers Rainforest http://www.regnskoven.dk/
Sail with Dagmar on Skanderborg lake:
Denmark's tallest climbing tree by Ry :
Sophiendal was built between 1876-1884 in the Renaissance style. The building materials used are red bricks, the socle is made of granite, while the roof is covered with Spanish tiles. The main building consists of a central wing with main entrance in the central part and two side wings with pavilion outbuildings. The garden faces south.
The drawings for the construction of the building were made by architect, professor H.B. Storck. The drawing of the beautiful portal was made by sculptor Ludv. Vieth. The entrance hall is decorated with carvings and woodwork. The castle was built by titular Privy Councillor Gottlob Emil Georg Frederik Rosenkrantz. The similarity between Rosenholm and Sophiendal is not a simple coincidence. Baron Gottlob Rosenkrantz was married to baroness Elisabeth Louise Rosenkrantz from Rosenholm. The manor was also the ancestral seat of the Rosenkrantz family. The beautiful outbuildings originate from baron Gottlob's time. The oldest building of the home farm dates from 1855. In the garden can be found many rare trees, for instance, a lime whose circumference is 3 ½ meters.
In the Middle Ages, Sophiendal was one of the oldest Benedictine Monastery in Denmark and Veng church was Denmark's oldest brick building. Until 1768, Sophiendal was called Venggaard. Already during Valdemar the Great, the monastery was falling into decay. According to tradition, from 1158, there were three monks living at the monastery. The monks were thinking more about eating and drinking good wine then thinking of the Holy Spirit. The Bishop of Aarhus described abbot Johannes as a hellhound, who lived a bad and dissolute life. Pope Alexander III was forced to intervene and in 1165, he handed Veng monastery over to Cistercian monks whose abbot was the Englishman Brunnio. This lasted only for a couple of years. In 1168, as the result of a dispute between the Cistercian monks and Count Erik who was the guardian of the new monastery, the monks moved to Kalv Island, which is a part of Ring Monastery. The Monastery was dissolved in 1172 after an agreement between archbishop Erik and the Pope. The estate was passed on to the count's sister, Margrethe.
After the Reformation, the monastery was placed under the king's cavalry estate in Skanderborg and Venggaard became the residence of the chief forestry supervisor of the crown's hunting and forrest properties. The prefect Von Woyda bought the estate from the king in 1767. In 1768, Venggaard changed its name to Sophiendal after Von Woyda's wife, Frederikke Anna Sophie. Von Woyda lived at Sophiendal most of his life and after his death in 1778, his wife took over the estate. Frederikke Anne Sophie lived there until her death in 1805. Von Woyda and Frederikke had only a daughter, who was married to Holger Reedtz Thott, the first owner of Gavnø castle. Later, Holger Reedtz' daughters Anna Magdalene, Frederikke and Birgitte inherited Sophiendal. Shortly after, the manor was sold to judge Andreas Bagger and Jørgen Gjesing from Randers. In 1811, the manor was sold to Skandorff from Aarhus. On his death, the estate was passed on to his son-in-law Chr. Møller Bus. After his death in 1820, Sophiendal was sold up.
In 1833, the manor was bought at an auction by Gottlob Emil Rosenkrantz and Frederik Werner Rosenkrantz. The price was 11.150 rbl. In the beginning, it was Fritz Werner Rosenkrantz who was managing Sophiendal. In 1853 Fritz sold his share to his brother Gottlob Emil, who was trained lawyer. From 1841, he was prefect in Aarhus and later in Thisted and Viborg.
Gottlob's great interest was the forest and therefore he planted an area around the farm with spruce and pine. The present buildings at Sophiendal originate from his time and the drawing of the building were made by professor Storck. Sophiendal became a rendez-vous for the great Rosenkrantz family, who earlier used to meet at Rosenholm castle. Baron Gottlob died in 1884 as titular Privy Councillor and was buried at Veng cemetery in a vault with direct entry from Sophiendal garden that he had arranged himself.
After the death of landowner Jensen in 1964, his heirs sold Sophiendal to developer Erik Christensen from Skovlunde two years later. The manor was renovated greatly and was fitted with central heating. The farm buildings were also repaired.
After Gottlob's death, his widow Elisabeth Louise took over Sophiendal. She passed the manor on to her son, the clever farmer, baron, chamberlain, Master of the Royal Hunt, Gunde Jørgen Holger Carl Rosenkrantz, who did everything he could to make Sopiendal profitably. After Jørgen's death in 1912, his son Holger Jørgen Gottlob Frederik Rosenkrantz took over Sophiendal and kept it until 1942, when he sold it to a buyer who tried to provide money by robbying a savings bank. His plan was disclosed and instead, baron Rosenkrantz sold Sophiendal to tenant Johannes Jensen, who in the past twenty years leased Svanholm. Instead, baron Rosenkrantz bought Ørumgaard, which is located near Vejle. Baron Rosenkrantz is buried at Veng cemetery.
Linde Jacobsen bought the manor in 1975, however, the manor sold at an auction in 1980 to High Court lawyer Orla Lokdam. In 1989, the lawyer sold the property to Sophiendal aps, whose owner was HP From. In 1994, the property was acquired by doctor Ann Lokdam and forest supervisor Gorm Lokdam, the son of Orla Lokdam. The manor was converted into a hotel with restaurant, decorative art and wine shop.