Hvedholm Castle is situated on the outskirts of Faaborg. The grandiose main building with the impressive view and location near the South Funen Archipelago, is breathtaking. In 1880, Count Bille Brahe Selby rebuilt the castle substantially. Today, Hvedholm has beautiful rooms with canopy beds, banqueting hall, restaurant and unique conference facilities.
The main building and the park 160 guest can stay overnigth in beautiful rooms.
The guests have also the possibility to stay in Aeblehuset, which is a very luxurious room.
The castle provides the perfect setting for special occasions. Hvedholm Castle is the ideal venue for christenings, weddings, birthday parties, receptions, seminars, workshops and board meetings for up to 150 guests.
The wine cellar and interior design shop are open Saturday afternoon.
The wine tasting takes place in the wine cellar where the guests have the possibility to taste 5 selected wines from our own production and from import. The price is DKK 150 per person.
Horne church is the only round church on Funen, which originally was a fortification that could defend Funen against the Wends. Hornebogen from 1225 is the oldest Danish document and until 1656, the book was a part of Hvedholm castle's comprehensive book collection.
The Kings Estate was foundes east of the church. In 1223, King Valdemar the Conquer was captured by a German count on Lyoe, which at that time belonged to Hvedholm. Around 1430, the king and drost Laurits Jonsen Panter exchanged Hvedholm and Langeland and Hvedholm became a privet Estate.
In 1475, Mette Panter inherited Hvedholm and Løgismose. The grandson Erik Hardenberg died during the expedition to Ditmarsker in 1500. His son Jacob Hardenberg added vast properties as Arreskov, Sandholt and Holme monastery. In 1557, the son in law Frants Bille, became the owner of Søholm. In his early youth, he was a student of Luther in Wittenberg. Frants Bille died during the Seven Years' War. In a letter written in 1572 at Hvedholm Castle, his niece, Anna Corfitzdatter Hardenberg announced that she broke off the engagement with King Frederik II.
The castle was later inherited by a distant relative, Jørgen Brahe, who was one of the most prominent men of the time. Jørgen went to Sorø Academy and as King Christian IV's squire, he went on many important journeys abroad and even took part in the Kalmar war. Being the owner of nine manors, Jørgen was called "The little king on Funen". Hvedholm and Brahesborg were the most important properties and in 1637, he built Horneporten. All estates on Horneland and even the church, belonged to the manor. Jørgen was taken prisoner during the Dano-Swedish war in 1657 and tried in vain to hinder the king from introducing absolute monarchy.
One night in 1572, Tycho Brahe noticed a new star, a Super Nova. He also discovered that the eighth sphere had actually changed since the day of creation. Brahe started developing measuring instruments for the orbits of the planets and established an astronomical observatory on the island Hven. The astronomer's work laid the foundation of Newton's law of gravitation. When Tyge Brahe left Denmark, his possessions were sailed from Hven to Hvedholm Castle. Among these were stones from Uranienborg.
His son, Preben Brahe inherited Hvedholm shortly before it burnt down in 1681. The lower parts of the external wall were used when the castle was reconstructed. In the years between 1878 and 1882, the castle was restored under the guidance of architect Johan Schrøder, who gave Hvedholm castle its present apperance. The western wing was made twice as wide. The spare bedrooms were in the eastern wing. Jens Juel's portraits of Struensee and Caroline Mathilde were hanging in the rooms. The southern wing was demolished and the tower made higher and provided with a spire from where there is a beautiful view over Faaborg and Øhavet.
In 1918, the castle was inherited by count Henrik Bille Brahe Selby. As a result of the land reforms of October 1919, the state confiscated 40% of the owner's fortune, even though the family has been the owner of the property since 1400. The land, the buildings and even household goods such as family portraits have been estimated. The castle was evaluated at DKK 650.000 and the owner had to pay DKK 260.000 in taxes. In order to provide the money, the owner had to sell the castle. In 1928, the state was the only buyer and was only willing to pay DKK 175.000. The consequences were disastrous for the owner. From being one of the richest man in the country, he was now in debt. The property was finally sold in 1938.
The castle and the park were converted into a mental hospital with capacity for 124 patients, predominantly women. However, the institution was closed down in 1993 and the castle was listed and offered for sale. The castle remained empty for two years and in 1996, the property was acquired by doctor Ann Lokdam and forest supervisor Gorm Lokdam. The castle was converted into a comfortable hotel with restaurant, shop and wine cellar.